R.I.P. Sporty T (New Orleans, LA)

Rap des 49 autres États américains.

Message par boi-dan_boi-dan le 19 Juil 2008, 23:06

Unknown gunmen toting an AK-47 opened fire on the exterior of a FEMA trailer in Gentilly this morning, murdering a former local rapper who was sleeping inside, according to the New Orleans Police Department.

Former New Orleans Rapper Gunned Down In His Home.

Walter Vine hangs his head in a truck next to a bullet-riddled FEMA trailer in the 5100 block of Painters Street in Gentilly where his brother Terence Vine was shot to death early Tuesday morning. Vine, a local rapper known as “Sporty T,” was asleep inside the trailer when unknown gunmen shot into the side of the trailer with an assault rifle, killing Vine.

Unknown gunmen toting an AK-47 opened fire on the exterior of a FEMA trailer in Gentilly this morning, murdering a former local rapper who was sleeping inside, according to the New Orleans Police Department.Terence Vine, a rapper known to friends and fans as “Sporty T,” was in bed when the gunmen sprayed his trailer with bullets, several of which struck his body, according to police. John Gagliano, chief investigator for the New Orleans coroner’s office, said Vine was 39, but family members and Garry Flot, a police spokesman, said they believed Vine was 41.

At 4:22 a.m. Tuesday, NOPD received a “shots fired” call from 5150 Painters St., Flot said. When police officers and other emergency workers arrived, they found the exterior of Vine’s trailer riddled with at least 28 bullet holes.

Inside, they found Vine wounded. Paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene, said Jeb Tate, a New Orleans EMS spokesman.

At least three rounds exited the other side of the trailer. One round lodged in the driver’s seat of a black Nissan Pathfinder, parked in the driveway, that belonged to Vine’s sister Michele Vine. Another blew out her rear driver’s side tire, and another shattered the rear driver’s side window.

Det. Michael S. McCleery is heading the investigation. Police had no motive, suspects or witnesses, according to Flot.

In the hours after the shooting, several family members filed in and out of a peach-colored home behind Vine’s trailer, consoling each other and preparing the home to receive friends and family throughout the day.

Sheila Vine, another sister of Terence Vine, said her brother was a Gentilly-bred rapper with more than a dozen CDs credited to his name before he had put aside rap music, becoming a hard-working father devoted to a 10-year-old son’s love for sports.

Vine joined a rap trio known as the “Ninja Crew” when he was 14, recording three albums. He then signed as a solo artist with Big Boy Records and recorded more than a dozen albums with them, the sister said. Eight years ago, he left the label and started his own Sporty Records, where he recorded the last of his work.

Terence Vine was the second member of the Ninja Crew to be murdered, Sheila Vine said. The only surviving member, a tall, heavyset man identifying himself as “Gregory D,” pulled up to the home this morning and embraced Sheila Vine as he said, “I’m sorry,” through quiet sobs. He led her away from the trailer and later declined comment.

“That was his best friend,” Sheila Vine said.

Terence Vine left behind two 10-year-old sons and a 15-year-old stepdaughter. He had been working as a self-employed dry wall contractor, relatives said.

The former rapper had not seen one son since the son’s mother moved after Hurricane Katrina, but he spent all the free time he could with the second one, who lived in Houston with his mother, Sheila Vine said. That son had spent Father’s Day weekend with his father. The son is attending a summer camp in Houston and was preparing to stay with his father for the rest of the summer after camp broke, Sheila Vine said.

Many saw Terence Vine and his son together at soccer, boxing, football and basketball practices, especially when the boy played for Milne Boys Home teams before Hurricane Katrina hit, Sheila Vine said.

“My brother wasn’t beefing with anybody,” Sheila Vine said. “He didn’t go out much. He just worked. He kept to himself. He loved his kids.”

//Sporty T was one of New Orleans best secrets, he made a career of dissing Cash Money and their artist. His disses were hilarious and hard at the same time. Sporty had a lot of charisma and raw talent. His best albums were Street Soldier and the Wet Boys album Get Wet.

The majority of his albums were anti-Cash Money. The name Wet Boys itself represent this opposition, as in wet being a solution for fire or the word 'hot.' If you are familiar with Cash Money's earlier catalog you'd have an additional appreciation for his rhyming skills and themes b/c he incorporated a lot of CMR's chorus, songs and references into his songs at the expense of Cash Money.
boi-dan_boi-dan
Tourist Rider

Message(s) : 41

Publicité

Publicité

Re: R.I.P. Sporty T (New Orleans, LA)

Message par $tr8 le 20 Juil 2008, 11:05

RIP premier rappeur tanj' a ce faire dessouder...Rushkoff on t'a tous desmasker, va te rendre au keufs lol
$tr8
Platinum Rider

Message(s) : 526

Message par Kicket le 20 Juil 2008, 13:49

RIP... connaissais pas bien le bonhomme, sa mort va être (comme souvent malheureusement) l'occasion de se pencher sur sa discographie... :?
Kicket
Ultimate Rider (Admin)

Message(s) : 9127

Message par boi-dan_boi-dan le 20 Juil 2008, 17:14

Yeah, thats too often the case for down-south rappers. But I've been listening to him for almost 10 years, he was definitely solid, interesting and cocky. His personality and wordplay were bigger than life, I'm surprised he never got into ghostwriting for other rap acts or even screenplay development. The way he told stories and phrased different scenarios was on a whole different level.

His albums usually recycled a lot of his old material, but they are still worth buying due to new beats and the few exclusive songs.

R.I.P. again, because he seemed to be a good father and a great man.

It should be also noted that he was a member of the group, Wild Boys, which was covertly manufactured by Master P to bring anti-Cash Money sentiments to a national stage.

Below is a video from the Wild Boys album:

//This videos doesn't properly showcases Sporty T, to get a real picture of his music, peep Street Soldier or Get Wet (Wet Boys). I forget whether he is even in the video.......
boi-dan_boi-dan
Tourist Rider

Message(s) : 41

Message par Malcolm le 21 Juil 2008, 01:19

RIP --- J'était en train justement de réécouté sa tape hier
Don't get caught sleepin!!
Malcolm
Gold Rider

Message(s) : 487

Retour vers COAST 2 COAST